Re: dentry cache leak? Re: rsync out of memory 2.6.8-rc2

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 02:03:03 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Something like this (totally untested, may not compile, you get the idea) might work. Or not. Since the _rest_ of "shrink_slab()" doesn't know about zonelists, just making the "how many pages does this zone have free" take the zonelist into account might cause other problems.

No, I think it'll be OK. Problems in this area tend to be subtle, and take
time to appear. But I think this one is pretty safe.

Yeah it is better than what we had before. It now has failure cases
going the other way, but I like this for a non intrusive fix.