Re: ide-cd problems

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 11:39:34 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Fri, Jul 30 2004, Zinx Verituse wrote:

I'm going to bump this topic a bit, since it's been a while..
There are still some issues with ide-cd's SG_IO, listed from
most important as percieved by me to least:

* Read-only access grants you the ability to write/blank media in the drive
* (with above) You can open the device only in read-only mode.

That's by design. Search linux-scsi or this list for why that is so.

So is the only solution to disallow user access to the device? Operationally that is inconvenient in some cases, but every user community has a few ill-intentioned people, and student groups may be somewhat heavy on that. Security is more important than convenience, but both are desirable.

We could go to burning all local reference data on CD-R instead of CD-RW, have a separate CD-R drive, but as noted all of those are undesirable drains on time and money. Clearly having some twit rewite the CD-RW with their own information is even more undesirable, if that wasn't clear ;-)

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)