Re: 2.4.27rc2, DVD-RW support broke DVD-RAM writes

From: Pat LaVarre
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 09:40:13 EST

> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=109043580300002

Mathias K:

Hi. Have you tried only PATAPI DVD-RAM drives? Only via ide-cd.o, rather than via ide-scsi.o?

Me, as yet I have no PATAPI DVD-RAM, so instead I tried a USB DVD-RAM drive, specifically the "HL-DT-ST" "DVDRAM" "A100" drive.

Agreed, 2.4.27-rc4 fails to write. But for me, 2.4.26 also fails to write.

For USB DVD-RAM in 2.4, I think the root evil is the dmesg complaint "kernel: sr0: scsi-1 drive", which in turn arises from the host substituting vendor-specific op x1A for MMC op x5A "MODE SENSE (10)". I'm guessing PATAPI DVD-RAM breaks over some other issue, found in the drivers/ide/ide-cd.c of ide-cd.o rather than in drivers/scsi/sr.c of ide-scsi.o.

Pat LaVarre
http://linux-pel.blog-city.com/read/754579.htm