Re: [brett@wrl.org: Stumped about where to post an Oops!]

From: Stephen C. Tweedie
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 05:32:09 EST

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 21:34, Andrew Morton wrote:
> The 0x00040004 access address almost looks like some pointer-poisoning
> thing.

It's the result of doing

> 0: 39 72 04 cmp %esi,0x4(%edx) <=====

when %edx is 0x00040000.

That looks to me like a single bit-flip in memory, and get_hash_table is
one of those functions that shows up in traces all the time when you've
got bad memory (it's one of the kernel's hottest functions for doing
list-walks over dynamically-allocated data structures.)

This footprint would definitely have me reaching for memtest86 as the
next step. It certainly has all the hallmarks of a classic bit-flip bad
memory trace.

--Stephen