Re: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8-rc2-O2

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 17:42:15 EST

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 21:30 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> here's the latest version of the voluntary-preempt patch:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.8-rc2-O2
>
> this patch is mainly a stabilization effort. I dropped the irq-threads
> code added in -M5 and rewrote it from scratch based on -L2 - it is
> simpler and should be more robust.
>
> The same /proc/irq/* configuration switches are still present, but i
> added the following additional rule: if _any_ handler of a given IRQ is
> marked as non-threaded then all handlers will be executed non-threaded
> as well.
>
> E.g. if you have the following handlers on IRQ 10:
>
> 10: 11584 IO-APIC-level eth0, eth1, eth2
>
> and you change /proc/irq/16/eth1/threaded from 1 to 0 then the eth0 and
> eth2 handlers will be executed non-threaded as well. (This rule only
> enforces what the hardware enforces anyway, none of the previous patches
> allowed true separation of these handlers.)
>
> i also changed the IO-APIC level-triggered code to be robust when
> redirection is done. The noapic workaround should not be necessary
> anymore.
>
> the keyboard lockups are now hopefully all gone too - i've tested
> IO-APIC and non-IO-APIC setups as well and NumLock/ScrollLock works fine
> in all sorts of workloads.
>
> Let me know if you still have any problems.

I'll be away on vacations for about two weeks, but before leaving, I
wanted to test run 2.6.8-rc2-bk11 plus voluntary-preempt-O2 on my P4 box
with both ACPI and IO/APIC enabled, voluntary-preempt=3 and preempt=1
and it seems to be working fine (I still haven't seen any hard locks).

# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 114044 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 497 IO-APIC-edge i8042
8: 1 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
14: 9289 IO-APIC-edge ide0
15: 54 IO-APIC-edge ide1
17: 1299 IO-APIC-level Intel 82801BA-ICH2
19: 13408 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd
20: 279 IO-APIC-level eth0
23: 0 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd
NMI: 0
LOC: 113967
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

# grep . /proc/irq/*/*/threaded
/proc/irq/14/ide0/threaded:1
/proc/irq/15/ide1/threaded:1
/proc/irq/17/Intel 82801BA-ICH2/threaded:1
/proc/irq/19/uhci_hcd/threaded:1
/proc/irq/1/i8042/threaded:1
/proc/irq/20/eth0/threaded:1
/proc/irq/23/uhci_hcd/threaded:1