Re: 2.6.8-rc2-mm1

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 07:35:19 EST

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 01:05:32AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Do you mean the "check vmlinux for undefined symbols" thing?
> That's proving to be a royal pain, although rmk's arguments for needing it
> are good. Could you find a way of fixing it up?

I may need core help. The executable is postprocessed by a program in
arch/sparc/boot/ and so some kind of hook to give it a chance to
properly fix up the symbol table (which I'll have to add afresh), for
instance, an extra stage of .tmp_vmlinux*, seems to be needed.

It treats vmlinux as a throwaway, and does the real linking pass in
arch/sparc/boot/; exchanging the roles of the top-level and arch
linking phases in the makefiles is all that's needed to fix this up.

Once an optional extra pass is okayed, it's a SMOP to deal with the
rest (i.e. the real undefined symbol).

-- wli