Re: uid of user who mounts

From: Steve French
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 10:23:37 EST

That is an interesting patch.

I confirmed what Randy had mantioned about the user= entries in mtab
allowing umounts (at least it works that way for a few of the local
filesystems I tried) but did not seem to work so well on other
filesystems - I had odd results on umounting my cifs mounts e.g. - after
adding at mount time "user=someuser" to /etc/mtab (by a minor change to
the mount helper mount.cifs.c, when running mount.cifs suid). umount of
those mounts failed and has been tricky to debug through a privately
built version of umount via ddd (although it is clearly not making it
down to the cifs filesystem on the user umount so the problem is in libc
or in fs/namespace.c) - so I am tracing through fs/namespace.c now.