Re: symlinks follow 8 or 5?

From: Tim Connors
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 22:17:03 EST

FabF <fabian.frederick@xxxxxxxxx> said on Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:34:39 +0200:
> Hi,
> do_follow_link comments is "This limits recursive symlink follows to 8"
> ... but having (x=1->10) ln -s x+1 x and trying cat 1 just works for x <
> 7 which drops follow mode to 5.Is this irrelevant ?

This popped up a few years ago.
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9903.1/0018.html

Obviously, nothing came about it. And I suspect the problem (running
out of stack space) is even worse these days with 4k stacks. Why is
this even done recursively?

Note that 5 symlinks is quite a burden. I got hit by it a few days ago
with my farm of symlinks between nfs RAID disks and my home directory
(~/raid points to /nfs/cluster, papers refers to ~/raid/papers,
Astro-ph refers to ~/papers/Astro-ph, and then I autofs shfs mounted
~/ from another host, which involve a couple of symlinks again (/host
to /mnt/nfshost and /mnt/nfshost to /var/autofs/misc/host and ~/host
to /host - the first two so that when the network goes down, all I
have to do is remove (by script) /mnt/nfshost, and then autofs wont
try to mount something it can't when something tries to access
~/host)).

"We must use Tim as a tool, not as a couch." -- J F Kennedy