Re: 2.6.8-rc2 crash(s)?

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 20:48:54 EST

On Thursday 29 July 2004 18:14, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
[...]
I've gone clear back to a 2.6.7 kernel because thats the newest one
that has a diff when cmp'ing fs/dcache.c files to whats in 2.6.8-rc2.

I've had one Oops, virtually the same one, but it didn't kill the
machine like it would have if I was running 2.6.8-rc2.
>| >and
>| >make path/to/<file containing prune_dcache>.s
>|
>| But this ones still being difficult. Make does want to generate
>| it. At best it claims that dcache.o is uptodate. I don't figure
>| one file is worth much without the other, so whats wrong with my
>| syntax? [root@coyote fs]# make dcache.c>.s
>| [root@coyote fs]# less .s
>| Which contains "make: Nothing to be done for `dcache.c'."
>
>This should be (without < > brackets):
>
>make fs/dcache.s

Aha! Voila!! It doesn't work in the "fs" subdir, but back out to the
top of the src tree and it works just fine. Duh...

Now, I must confess that what I'm looking at in those two files is
the .s is the source assembly that would normally be fed to gas, and
the objdump'ed version is the dissed object translated back to gas
source. If no mistakes, they should be pretty close to the same I'd
think. Am I on the right track? Or full of it?

Here's the theory thats gradually formed in whats left of my mind:
--------------
5 things changed in the kernel soft when I changed the mobo.
1. The ide driver, from via686a to the nforce2 version.
2. The video driver, because the old card failed and took the mobo
with it.
3. Ethernet driver is now forcedeth instead of rtl-8139too
4. A different alsa driver, from via8233 to intel-8x0
5. The 4Gb switch is turned on in the kernel now as theres a gig of
ram on this board.
--------------

I can't do anything about the first 2, but I can do without the last
200 megs of ram long enough to test that, and I can switch back to
the rtl-8139too card for ethernet, and I can turn off alsasound.

In the meantime I turned a bunch of stuff the logs were complaining
about off, like sgi_fam (what the heck is that?), some ups daemons
for brands I don't have, that sort of thing, and have a tail running
on the log. So far, its clean since the restart of xinetd. Another
16 hours will tell most of the tale for this particular instant
configuration.

One final question if I may: What do I turn off (or on) in the video
dept of the kernel so that my screen doesn't go black after vmlinuz
is unpacked, and not come back on till "init" is run, at which point
the screen comes back on in what looks to be exactly the same mode?

Anything that goes on in that time period must be read
from /var/log/dmesg later if I want to see it.

--
Cheers Randy, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)