ext3 filesystem corruption with Fedora Core 2, Test 3 with latest2.6.6.x kernel

From: Amit D. Chaudhary
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 20:18:03 EST

What happened:
I got filesystem corrupted yesterday when using a Fedora Core 3, Test 3 with linux kernel 2.6.6-1.435.

The filesystems were /boot and /, particularly files under /bin were missing including /bin/sh, /etc/fstab, etc.
kernel images, and other files under /boot had disappeared.

Setup:
The desktop is a HP with a P3 700 with 512 MB RAM, 2 HDD, this happenned on ide0 (hda1 and hda3)
The ext3 filesystems had the default journaling mode.

How I ran into it:
I ran vncserver from one of the mingetty (text) consoles, I am still trying it out and probably used an incorrect xstartup, attached incase it might be useful. Anyways, I did not connect to it, decided to log onto another mingetty (CTRL+ALT+2), this took the login name and hung. Now the computer went into a hard hang (No Oops, CTRL+ALT+DEL, etc did not work.)
On a reboot using grub directly went into Windows (it is a dual boot system). Using the rescue disk, I noticed, since it did not mount /dev/hda1 as /boot, the old /boot was being effective and suprisingly did not have a link entry.

I have reinstalled the OS, so no direct help is needed.
Thought should email it to the list for information and if someone knows which release this happens in and is there a fix to it.

Thanks
Amit
#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
# unset SESSION_MANAGER
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
#Original commands
#xsetroot -solid grey
#vncconfig -iconic &
#xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#twm &

#/usr/bin/gdm-binary -nodaemon&
/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon&
metacity&