Re: [2.6 patch] let 4KSTACKS depend on EXPERIMENTAL and XFS on 4KSTACKS=n

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 16:50:19 EST

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 11:11:37PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> There are reports of breakages with 4kb stacks in 2.6, but AFAIK no
> similar reports for 2.4 .

2.4.x uses the stack(s) differently than 2.6.x so it will usually be
harder (but not impossible) to break and less easy to detect.

I believe what Arjan is saying that that 2.4.x effectively really only
has 4K of safely usable stack anyhow (we have some on-stack allocated
data and interrupts use the same stack).

Also, FWIW I do think there were been reports of problems in 2.4.x
that looked like they might be stack-size related (things dying
horribly after an interrupt for example).

--cw