Re: OK, anybody have any hints and tips to get an MFM drive workingagain?

From: alan
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 16:42:02 EST

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> We need to recover some data off an old MFM drive. We've got a bunch
> of those cards, we've got a bunch of drives to experment with, but
> once we get things working we'll recover some 2x20Mb of data off two
> 20Mb drives....
>
> We've tried the modern IDE driver, and the 2.4.20 one, and the "old
> hd only" driver.
>
> Going "retro": Compiling 2.0.39 gives me: "bus error" while doing
> make dep.
>
> I THINK we have a couple of those cards that don't have any
> interrupts. Would Linux be able to work with those?
>
> Yes, we pass "hda=615,4,17" to the IDE driver.
>
> Any suggestions of things to try?

First of all, what format is the data on the drives? ext2 or fat?

What mfm card are you using? I assume it is an isa card. (I have never
heard of a pci mfm card.)

If this is a one time thing, you might try tracking down an older version
of Linux. (One with XT drive support.)

If you can't find one, contact me off-line. I have versions going back to
the Yggdrasil beta. An old version of Slackware should work.