Re: Weird: 30 sec delay during early boot

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 11:07:48 EST

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 03:05:10PM +0200, David Balazic wrote:
> > David, you had said before that by downgrading your BIOS you no longer
> > saw the delay. Is this not still true?
> >
> Still true, downgrading removes the delay.

OK, then I'm inclined to believe it's a BIOS bug really...

> > You also mentioned that Grub made different calls. I'll check that
> > out too.
> >
> Can you make a patch, that only accesses hd0 and hd1 ?

Reduce the value of
#define EDD_MBR_SIG_MAX 16

in include/linux/edd.h to whatever value you like, e.g. 2.

> Or one which prints what is it doing, on each step ?
> ( I tried this one myself, but it did not work :blush: , IA32 assembler
> is not my strong side )

That's more PITA - it's in real mode, before anything's ever been
printed. I'd prefer not to have to figure that out if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch