Re: PATCH: Fix ide probe double detection

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 22:25:02 EST

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 08:46, Alan Cox wrote:
> Some devices don't decode master/slave - notably PCMCIA adapters.
> Unfortunately for us some also do, which makes it hard to guess if we
> should probe the slave.
>
> This patch fixes the problem by probing the slave and then using the model
> and serial information to spot undecoded pairs. An additional check is done
> to catch pairs of pre ATA devices just in case.

What about checking if drive->select sticks ? And if that doesn't work,
something like

- select 0
- write a value to reg X
- select 1
- write a different value to reg X
- select 0
- check value

reg X could be nsect or such ...

I don't like relying on drive->id and serial_no, but that may just be
paranoia...

Ben.