Re: stat very inefficient

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 17:43:17 EST

>>>>> "viro" == viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 08:13:01PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
>> I was about to make sparc64 specific copies of all the stat system
>> calls in order to optimize this properly. But that makes little
>> sense, instead I think fs/stat.c should call upon arch-specific
>> stat{,64} structure fillin routines that can do the magic, given a
>> kstat struct.
>>
>> Comments?

viro> I'm not sure that it's worth doing for anything below the
viro> "widest" version of stat. For that one - yeah, no objections.

Agree -- glibc redirects stat() to stat64() under many compilation
models.

But is stat{,64} actually showing up badly in profiles?
If it's not I don't think it's worth doing *anything* (I can imagine
loads where it would, e.g., make on a large sourcetree, or running a
backup)

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*