Re: ext3 and SPEC SFS Run rules.

From: Andreas Dilger
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 16:03:51 EST

On Jul 26, 2004 10:18 +0100, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> I think the important part of rule 1. saying "server adheres to the
> protocol" is this bit from rfc1813:
>
> The following data modifying procedures are
> synchronous: WRITE (with stable flag set to FILE_SYNC), CREATE,
> MKDIR, SYMLINK, MKNOD, REMOVE, RMDIR, RENAME, LINK, and COMMIT.
>
> E.g. if a client had a successful SYMLINK and the server crashed, the
> client is not going to discover on the next reboot (of the server) that
> the symlink is somehow disappeared...

Just an FYI - if you are running a heavy sync load like a sync NFS
server you may want to consider running a large external journal for
performance. This means your journal data writes are always sequential
and to a different disk than the main filesystem.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
http://members.shaw.ca/adilger/ http://members.shaw.ca/golinux/