Re: [Fastboot] Re: Announce: dumpfs v0.01 - common RAS output API

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 15:30:57 EST

"Martin J. Bligh" <mbligh@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> We discussed this at kernel summit a bit - it'd be safer to make the devices
> clear down on boot up, rather than shutdown, if possible ... less work to
> do on the unstable base.

Agreed, but I think for starters we should capture the low hanging fruit
by calling the shutdown method and then increasingly harden the
code by performing less in the kernel that panics and more in the
cleanup kernel.

That way we can concentrate first on the interfaces to the rest of the
kernel. And then we can make the solution bullet proof.

> Maybe we could shut down the devices on bringup, then bring it up again
> (no I'm not kidding ;-)) ... should reuse the code.

Might not be a bad idea.

Eric