Re: whining noise - possible bug in nForce2 support?

From: Petr Vandrovec
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 11:31:59 EST

On 26 Jul 04 at 23:36, Dexter Filmore wrote:

> Just upgraded my mobo to a ECS N2U400-A nForce2 board, standard MCP
> southbridge, latest BIOS.
> CPU is AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 2x256MB PC266 RAM.
> Kernel version is 2.6.7, tested distros are Slackware 10 and Knoppix 3.4.
>
> Board work alright so far, but as soon as I start a 2.6 kernel, the board will
> produce a high pitched whining sound.
>
> Interesting thing: as long as the hard disk has something to do, the noise
> vanishes but returns as soon as the disk idles again.

Are you sure that it has something to do with disk and not with processor?
What if you run 'while true; do :; done', is not it sufficient to get
rid of noise?

If it is sufficient, then rebuild your kernel with HZ=100 instead of
using default 1000Hz. At least it silenced my Compaq notebook.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec