Re: Weird: 30 sec delay during early boot

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 07:44:19 EST

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 02:16:19PM +0200, David Balazic wrote:
> The same delay as before.
>
> I built 2.6.8-rc1 first, then patched and issued a "make bzImage";
> maybe it did not compile all the new stuff ?

No, it didn't work for Jeff either, and I've been gone on vacation/OLS
the past couple weeks, just now getting back into normal work mode. I
haven't forgotten about you.

The crazy thing is, the early real mode code has issued a "Get Disk
Type" (int13 fn15) command for ages, so I suspect it's not being slow for
disk 80 or 81, but for one of the higher values. From setup.S:

# Check that there IS a hd1 :-)
movw $0x01500, %ax
movb $0x81, %dl
int $0x13
jc no_disk1
cmpb $3, %ah
je is_disk1

This is all I was trying to accomplish with that test patch.

David, you had said before that by downgrading your BIOS you no longer
saw the delay. Is this not still true?

You also mentioned that Grub made different calls. I'll check that
out too.

Thanks,
Matt

--