Re: IPMI watchdog question

From: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 05:49:10 EST

On Wednesday 28 of July 2004 12:33, Holger Kiehl wrote:

> > Do you have CONFIG_WATCHDOG_NOWAYOUT enabled?
>
> No this is not set. Must this be set? Actually I want that one can stop the
> watchdog gracefully. And this is done by writting a 'V' to /dev/watchdog,
> correct?
Without CONFIG_WATCHDOG_NOWAYOUT (or nowayout=1 module option added by my
patch just sent to lkml) when /dev/watchdog is closed then watchdog timer is
disabled.

> I noticed that CONFIG_WATCHDOG is also not set since CONFIG_IPMI_WATCHDOG
> is set under IPMI. Must this be set?
Currently these two are unrelated in technical terms.

> Is the IPMI watchdog different to
> all the other watchdogs or why is it listed seperatly?
CONFIG_WATCHDOG only purpose is to disable all watchdogs living in
drivers/char/watchdog directory, nothing more. Enabling it doesn't add any
code unless you also add some specific watchdog.

ipmi_watchdog relies on IPMI (IPMI_HANDLER) and probably that's why it's
listed separatly.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology
arekm.pld-linux.org, 1024/3DB19BBD, JID: arekm.jabber.org, PLD/Linux