Re: Interesting race condition...

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 03:12:25 EST

Bill writes:
> When piped. For instance
> ps eaxf
> does not [show environ], while
> ps eaxf | cat
> does

Neither the behaviour I'm seeing on my SuSE 8.2 box, and the code I see
in some random procps-3.2.1 I happened to have laying around, agree with
your description.

Rather, both behaviour and code have the 'e' option as a BSD option
(applicable if no '-' option flag) requesting that the environment be
shown, and I get the environment so shown, regardless of whether the
output is a pipe or a tty.

... This subthread is of course off-topic to Rob Landley's
original post - he wasn't using the 'e' option.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability