Re: OOM-killer going crazy.

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 08:34:15 EST

Ed Sweetman wrote:

I tried it, i dont slow down or crash when burning the cd the first time. It's a small cd that doesn't take up my entire ram size, but the memory is still not freed. If i tried it again i would be rebooting right now. I only have 70MB out of 650MB free after burning the cd. Cache only takes up 122MB, and buf takes up 1MB. and i'm using 100MB of swap. I will run vmstat when i do it when i get home later today.
It's not so much that the kernel is leaking memory, I think it thinks it's handling a pointer to data it's supposed to write to disk, but it's writing the wrong data, either a slightly misaligned offset or mangled pointer because the audio cd did write but the audio it wrote is unintelligable. It almost sort of sounds like it should but it's completely fubared. And i've done this with swab on and off before thinking the drive automatically wrote audio with SWAB on and cdrecord's swab was countering it or something but that was not the case. The audio source files were ripped from a cd using the same drive and they sound good on the harddrive. The drive seems to have no real problem ripping audio. Just writing it. Normal cds show no problem as i've previously mentioned.
If this is a vfs problem then i'd like to know what audio writing has to do with filesystems since it's raw data. Even ignoring the mem leak problem that appears to manifest in different ways on different computers, this OOM situation only happens to me when burning audio cds, not data.

OK so it does sound like a different problem.

I didn't follow your other thread closely... does /proc/slabinfo
show any evidence of a leak?