Re: kernel 2.4.26 oops (maybe solved)

From: Peter Santoro
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 18:19:43 EST

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
Hi Peter,

Care to disable ALSA to see if the problem really only happens
when running ALSA+HIGHMEM ?

Your previous oopses in core VM code seem to be hardware problems
to me, I haven't done any deep analysis though.

Marcelo,

Thank you for responding to my post. I know how busy you and your kernel colleagues are and I truly appreciate all your efforts. The last thing I want to do is waste anyone's time. (Earlier this year, I reported a Lexar usb thumb drive crash using an ibm pc to the usb kernel developers and worked with Pete Zaitcev to test his 2.4.27 patch.)

Although my asus system has been very stable for about 4 years, I do realize that my current problems could be due to failing hardware. Given that I've also experienced a few random reboots over the last 4 months, I did replace the psu with a new Antec 430W Truepower psu. I also tried replacing my cpu with an Intel P3 600e and have run all memtest86 tests a few times without errors. The power to the room for this computer is on a separate circuit, but I suppose I could try using a ups. Or maybe it's time for a new motherboard?

My original crashes started occurring around the time I upgraded to 2.4.26 and started using HIGHMEM (no alsa) - of course, this could just be a coincidence. Adding alsa simply made the system more unstable. I have been running without a crash for about 5 days now (alsa without HIGHMEM) - until today (2 random reboots: alsa without HIGHMEM).

I am now running without HIGHMEM and without alsa, to see if it makes any difference. I will probably also try running memtest86 for a day or two more. If you have any other suggestions, I'd be happy to listen.

Sincerely,

Peter Santoro