Re: Autotune swappiness01

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jul 26 2004 - 06:15:06 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:
R. J. Wysocki wrote:

On Monday 26 of July 2004 12:29, Con Kolivas wrote:

I think one knob is one knob too many already.

Can you please tell me why do you think so?

If you wanna discuss pedantics...

In my ideal, nonsensical, impossible to obtain world we have an autoregulating operating system that doesn't need any knobs.

Some thinks are fundamental tradeoffs that can't be autotuned.

Latency vs throughput comes up in a lot of places, eg. timeslices.

Maximum throughput via effective use of swap, versus swapping as
a last resort may be another.