Re: changing ethernet devices, new one stops cold at iptables

From: David Ford
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 16:24:44 EST

No need to reboot it. Simply flush the neighbor cache.

Scott root # ip neigh flush help
Usage: ip neigh { add | del | change | replace } { ADDR [ lladdr LLADDR ]
[ nud { permanent | noarp | stale | reachable } ]
| proxy ADDR } [ dev DEV ]
ip neigh {show|flush} [ to PREFIX ] [ dev DEV ] [ nud STATE ]

David

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Sunday 25 July 2004 05:50, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Gene Heskett wrote:

I can ping the firewall, and I can ssh into it, so that part of
the network is fine, I just cannot get past iptables in the
firewall when eth0 is the nforce hardware, which has a different
MAC address.

Have you verified that the routing got correctly set up on the new
box?

ip ro ls

The usual cause to the symptoms you describe is that the default
route has gone missing or is invalid.

The routing was good, showing the fireall as the default gateway address.

In this case, the fix was to reboot the firewall so that its arp tables got refreshed to match the new MAC address of the onboard nforce (forcedeth) nic. Once that was done, everything was peachy.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply, Henrik.

begin:vcard
fn:David Ford
n:Ford;David