Re: ksoftirqd uses 99% CPU triggered by network traffic (maybeRLT-8139 related)

From: Pasi Sjoholm
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 16:20:21 EST

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Will S. wrote:

> >I would say more like this is a pain in the ass. =) and I'm having a
> >feeling that we will have to switch off from the rtl-8139 cards if nobody
> >is willing to help us.
> I have an RTL-8139 on 100MBit/full-duplex and was by concidence copying
> 110GB of data in roughly 300,000 files, some as big as 1GB, last night.
> Three systems at once were pumping data into a single P4 1.4GHz with the
> RTL-8139. The line was floored at 10MB/sec, and it ran for about 3.5
> hours. I had no problems at all, and was using the P4 box (which triple
> heads at high resolution) at the same time. Nothing broke, although it
> felt quite a bit slower than usual :-)

=) I'm also using rtl-8139 cards at work and I haven't seen this kind of
problems but I'm not using 2.6-series kernel in those machines. Good for
you that you didn't have any problems.

> Kernel 2.6.8-rc1, ACPI and APIC fully enabled, NVidia accelerated
> drivers loaded and in use by one of the three displays. Now that's what
> I call a stress test :-) If there's anything outstanding with the
> RTL-8139 driver, you'd think it would pop out under that kind of load.
> One interesting thing is you both have AMD processors, and I have an
> Intel CPU, but that might be unrelated.
> If it matters, this is on an ECS P4VXMS board - the RTL8139 is built-in.

Yeah, it might be some sort of a bug which is related to
VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]-chipset and
RTL-8139? Hard to say at this point. I'll get some other network cards
tomorrow from the office and we will see if there is a difference.

I hope that it's not the mobo (chipset). =)

--
Pasi Sjöholm