Re: Ext3 problems in dual booting machine with SE Linux

From: Steve G
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 16:22:34 EST

>Fix your boot to not use /dev/root, but an actual partition number.

Thanks for the suggestion, but booting is fine.

>What's happening is that /dev/sda3 is *both* your /mnt/target *and* your
>root filesystem. So when you start rm -rf'ing, you trash your root filesystem
>and things go pear-shaped.

/dev/sda2 is / under 2.4
/dev/sda3 is /mnt/target under 2.4
/dev/sda3 is / under 2.6
2.6 doesn't mount /dev/sda2.

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-31.9smp)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-31.9smp ro root=/dev/sda2 hdd=ide-scsi
initrd /initrd-2.4.20-31.9smp.img
title Test (2.6.7)
root (hd1,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-1.437.build ro root=0803 hdd=ide-scsi
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.7-1.437.build.img

They both use different fstabs.

The problem is not that I trash my root filesystem under 2.4, my problem is I
cannot unmount /mnt/target after I have been in SE Linux and ran fixfiles. My
method of recovery is to remove files from /mnt/target until I get corruption
detected at boot which finally lets me run mke2fs to get it back.

What I really wished is that I can unmount the filesystem, run mke2fs, remount it
and start doing whatever. My root filesystem is fine. /mnt/target is fine as long
as I don't run fixfiles.

BUT...this does point out the corruption that I have come to depend on...which is
wrong.

Best Regards,
-Steve Grubb