Re: LTT user input

From: zanussi
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 15:46:12 EST

Roger Luethi writes:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:34:19 -0500, zanussi@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I agree that it would make sense for all these tools to at least share
> > a common set of hooks in the kernel; it would be great if a single
> > framework could serve them all too. The question at the summit was
> > 'why not use the auditing framework for tracing?'. I haven't had a
> > chance to look much at the code, but the performance numbers published
> > for tracing syscalls using the auditing framework aren't encouraging
> > for an application as intensive as tracing the entire system, as LTT
> > does.
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107826445023282&w=2
>
> Looking for a common base was certainly easier before one tracing
> framework got merged. I don't claim to know if a common basic framework
> would be beneficial, but I am somewhat amazed that not more effort has
> gone into exploring this.

I didn't know the auditing framework was a tracing framework. It
certainly doesn't seem light-weight enough for real system tracing,
which was the question. Are there other frameworks we should consider
tracing on top of?

> > > When considering which tracing functionlity should be in
> > > mainline, performance measurments for user-space come in
> > > pretty much at the bottom of my list: Questions like "which
> > > process is overwriting this config file behind my back" seem a
> > > lot more common and more likely to be asked by people not
> > > willing or capable of compiling a patched kernel for that
> > > purpose. And tools that are useful for kernel developers
> > > (while unpopular with the powers that be) are nice to have in
> > > mainline because as a kernel hacker, you often _have_ to debug
> > > the latest kernel for which your favorite debug tool is not
> > > working yet. An argument for adding security auditing to
> > > mainline is that it helps convince the conservative and
> > > cautious security folks that the functionality is accepted and
> > > here to stay.
> > >

> > OK, so peformance isn't that important for your application, but for
>
> What is important to me is irrelevant. Both Linus and Andrew have stated
> that demonstrated usefulness for many people is one key criteria for
> merging new stuff.

And where was the 'demonstrated usefulness for many people' of the
auditing framework?

> > LTT it is, the idea being that tracing the system should disrupt it as
>
> That's your problem right there. Nobody cares if LTT is happy. It is
> people who matter. LTT users.

Right, so LTT is the only potential user of the framework that would
care about performance. I guess we and anyone else who does can't use
it then.

> > little as possible and be able to deal with large numbers of events
> > efficiently. That's also why the base LTT tracer doesn't do things in
> > the kernel that some of these other tools do, such as filtering on
> > param values for instance. That type of filtering in the kernel can
>
> Which seems reasonable. It would be nice though if adding parameter
> filters became easier with a basic framework merged.

I don't see why it would be too hard to add to any basic framework.

> > even a C compiler that allows you to define your probes in C and
> > access arbitrary kernel data symbolically, including function params
> > and locals.
>
> Heh, don't tell Linus. You may want to tout other benefits instead.

Well, this is what DTrace does too and in almost exactly the same way,
using an in-kernel interpreter similar to a stripped-down JVM where
nothing malicious can get out and alter the system. It's basically
where all the 'magic' of DTrace happens. I know, trying to get
something like this into mainline would be a hard sell, but if you
know of anything less scary that would let us do thing as exciting as
DTrace does, let me know...

--
Regards,

Tom Zanussi <zanussi@xxxxxxxxxx>