Re: question about /proc/<PID>/mem in 2.4 (fwd)

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 23:57:23 EST

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 04:15:49PM -0700, Paul Jackson wrote:
> That original shell's mem file will be read by whatever follows, exec or
> not. The 'exec' just stops the shell from forking before it exec's, and
> certainly won't cause the path that was used earlier to open fd 0 to be
> re-evaluated.

I totally agree, of course, but...

> The setuidapp will see the shell's memory. In general, a app, setuid or
> not, should make no assumption that any open fd's handed to it at birth
> were opened using the same priviledges that the app itself has.

how can you be sure it will be the shell's memory ? after an exec, the
new process replaces the shell with the same pid. If it overwrites the
same address space, there's a possibility that /proc/self/mem, once
openned, still points to the same structure which will reflect the new
process's space after exec(). I'm afraid I'll have to test it.

Regards,
Willy