Re: audio cd writing causes massive swap and crash

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 19:08:52 EST

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 12:34:43PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Ed Sweetman <safemode@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Both with 2.6.7-rc3 and 2.6.8-rc1-mm1 I get the same behavior when
> > writing an audio cd on my plextor px-712a. DMA is enabled and
> > normal data cds write as expected, but audio cds will cause (at
> > any speed) the box to start using insane amounts of swap (>150MB)
> > and eventually cause the box to crash before finishing the cd.

There is a memory leak somewhere when writing CDs, I've seen this
myself. Basically for me all low-memory is leaked and with only
highmem left things go bad.

> What is the full cdrecord command line?

doesn't matter for me

> Were earlier kernels OK?

2.4.x is OK for me, it's been this way in 2.6.x for a very long time,
I keep forgetting to poke about and have a look why.

--cw