audio cd writing causes massive swap and crash

From: Ed Sweetman
Date: Sat Jul 17 2004 - 15:01:42 EST

Both with 2.6.7-rc3 and 2.6.8-rc1-mm1 I get the same behavior when writing an audio cd on my plextor px-712a. DMA is enabled and normal data cds write as expected, but audio cds will cause (at any speed) the box to start using insane amounts of swap (>150MB) and eventually cause the box to crash before finishing the cd. CPU usage during the write is very low, but the feeling of lagginess begins after the first few tracks (and as the memory begins to be sucked away). I've used both cdrecord from cdrtools in debian and from the site and both have the same behavior. I dont know how i'd go about finding out what the problem is, so far I've coastered over 10 cds trying different ways of burning an audio cd but it appears that burnfree, speed have nothing to do with the problem.

Here's some drive info if it helps.

Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'DVDR PX-712A '
Revision : '1.01'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support code.
cdrecord: See /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.DVD.Debian for details on DVD support.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE VARIREC FORCESPEED SPEEDREAD SINGLESESSION HIDECDR
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R

now in cdrecord i use the option -swab not sure if that counters the driver flags or what, either way I doubt it would be causing this problem.

the drive by the way is mmc4 compliant, so it's weird that it says mmc2.
any more info that's needed just tell me.