Re: HELP: Cannot get ALSA working on via82xx

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 11:10:57 EST

At Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:08:47 -0400,
Timothy Miller wrote:

> Thank you for responding!
>

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Wed, 07 Jul 2004 14:26:54 -0400,
> > Timothy Miller wrote:
> >
> >>I must once again reiterate my begging for help on this topic. I've
> >>gotten lots of help on the gentoo forum, but none of it's fixed my
> >>problems, and I've only gotten one response on LKML.
> >>
> >>*BEG* *BEG* *BEG*
> >>
> >>Please, won't someone take pity on me? :) Thanks!
> >

> > via82xx doesn't support MPU401 by itslef although via686 does.
>
> I'm not sure if I have via686 or not. Various tools like lspci don't
> seem to reveal much.

Hmm, lspci must show the string like 'VIA86C686A' or 'VIA8235' ('VIA'
can be 'VT').

> That's one of the problems I keep running into with Linux. There aren't
> good tools for finding out what you have, and even when you do find out
> what you have, it's hard to figure out which modules you need, because
> the module names don't correspond well with the chipset name.

You can use alsaconf script. It will detect the right module.

> Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be a good way to relate module names
> with menuconfig entries. When someone says to use xyz module, I can't
> figure out which menuconfig option to select, so I have to compile ALL
> of them as modules, and when someone tells me to use a given menu
> option, I can't figure out which module corresponds to it.

That's true. The sure way would be to retrieve the pci id table from
the source code...

> > You can try snd-mpu401 module instead.
>
> Well, I have a module snd-mpu401, but when I modprobe it, I get an error
> about a non-existant device.

Then you might need to give the correct port number and the irq
number as module parameters. Perhaps you can get them from BIOS.

> > When ACPI is enabled, the
> > configuration will be done automatically.
> > The midi device can be available as the second card.
>
> Ah, well, I had nightmares trying to use ACPI. I use just APM for
> things like power-off (power-off works with APM, but not with ACPI).
> Maybe some of the experts can help me to figure out how to get it all to
> work.
>
> I'm about ready to give up on ALSA and go back to OSS. Maybe someone
> can help me to figure out how to get MIDI sequencing to work with OSS
> instead. OSS would at least do audio right without noise and popping
> sounds, etc.

I guess you see a kernel message when you load snd-via8xx driver
regarding dxs_support option (suppose that your chip is VIA823x)?

In worst case, you can eliminate the noises with dxs_support=2
option.

> I apologize for the impatient nature of this post... I've been
> struggling for weeks to get audio working right with ALSA, but every
> piece of advise I get seems only to make things worse.
>
> From what I read on various web sites, ALSA for via82xx is so buggy
> that it's really not worth using yet.

Sorry, no, the chipset on many mobos is so buggy :)
That's why we need so many workarounds.

OSS driver has no problem regarding clicking noises because it doesn't
support the DXS channels, the multiple playback. ALSA supports it as
default. dxs_support=2 options disables it.
See ALSA-Configuration.txt for details.

Anyway, OSS VIA driver also doesn't support MIDI for VIA823x.
It's for VIA686 only, as well as on ALSA driver.

Takashi