Re: XFS: how to NOT null files on fsck?

From: Chris Wedgwood
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 14:02:48 EST

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 08:49:03PM +0200, Anton Ertl wrote:

> If a free block was last allocated to a file belonging to user U,
> then it may be ok (it's not a security problem) to put the block in
> a file belonging to user U on recovery; if not, then it's certainly
> not ok to put it into such a file without erasing it first.

that's still a big security problem, consider files with restricted
paths all of a sudden appearing or globally visible root-owned files
appearing with old root-only data in them

> I have never seen Emacs lose data from crashing or (more frequently)
> being killed. Do you have an idea what went wrong in your case and
> how they

no idea, for a while it would segfault when you resized the window and
you would loose everthing, (no crash handler to attempt to save things
i guess)

> Take a look at <http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/czezatke/lfs.html>.

apples and oranges

> BTW, the way my current hardware acts up, system crashes are more
> frequent than application crashes, and certainly more frequent than
> applications behaving badly.

you need new hardware or a new system then

this entire thread is dragging on and seems to have become a religious
discussion about how XFS should because various people don't like it's
current behavior despite the way things have worked that way for many
many years

i don't care if people use XFS or not, there are plenty of
alternatives