Re: missing cdrom in new kernel 2.4.26

From: Edward Macfarlane Smith
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 09:48:42 EST

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 13:17, Hlaing Oo wrote:

> #cat /var/log/dmesg
> Linux version 2.4.26 (root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc
> version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #3 SMP

> BIOS strings suggest APM reports battery life in
> minutes and wrong byte order.
> Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi
> ide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi
---cut---
old
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI
> devices
> Vendor: MATSHITA Model: UJDA310 Rev: 1.34
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI
> revision: 02

In both old and new you are passing in hdc=ide-scsi on the boot line, telling
the kernel to use ide-scsi for hdc. (I'd guess that /dev/cdrom points
to /dev/sr0). The bit below shows that it has correctly inserted the ide-scsi
module in your old kernel and detected the cdrom. That is missing from the
new one. Are you sure you built the ide-scsi module in your new kernel? Have
you checked /var/log/messages or /var/log/warn to see if there were any
errors about problems with the ide-scsi module?
Fairly certain I remember getting the same error one time when I forgot to
build ide-scsi.
Regards,
Edward