Re: Fwd: Mail System Error - Returned Mail

From: Matti Aarnio
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 03:25:36 EST

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:06:39PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I'm getting a lot of these bounces, any good reason?

Dunno, but we also see (every now and then) that Verizon
system rejects emails towards it with MAIL FROM giving
vger.kernel.org domain.

Reading deeper, the visible "To:" header, and "remote mta"
line do say: vgr.kernel.org which isn't quite exactly right...

Perhaps you should ask from the given <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
contact address for assistance ? (And do send them the full
version, not just this abridged one.)

>From the symptoms I do suspect that Verizon's DNS server(s) are
malfunctioning somehow.

An alternate is that their MTA software is treating temporary DNS
failures (like lookup timeout) as instantly permanent failures and
as a valid reason for reject, which would be a mad thing to do.

I have seen even that to happen before, although mainly with SMTP-
receivers, that report 500-series codes even for DNS timeouts.
In that protocol there are also 400-series codes, that are supposed
to be used in these "I can't find out now, do retry LATTER."

/Matti Aarnio -- one of <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>