Re: DriveReady SeekComplete Error...

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Tue Jul 13 2004 - 09:57:29 EST

Hi,

On Tuesday 13 of July 2004 16:47, Dhruv Matani wrote:
> One more thing I forgot to mention is that if I use that hard 80-pin
> cable, then I do not get such errors at boot time, but get them when
> some service is loading, and if I use the cheaper more flexible
> cable(with possibly lesser number of cables), then I get these errors

You get "BadCRC" errors. They usually indicate bad cabling.

> while the kernel is loading as well as when some service is loading.
> That service is smartd.

Are you sure it is _exactly_ the same error?

If it is "task_no_data_intr" one then it is harmless
(means that command is not supported by a drive).

You may also want to check http://smartmontools.sf.net

> Again, only in 2.4.20-8, in the previous version(the default that came
> with RedHat-7.2), there is no such problem. Also, I use a re-compiled
> version of the 2.4.20-8 kernel, whereas the default RedHat provided one
> for 7.2, but the errors persist even for the default RedHat-9 kernel
> 2.4.20-8, so I suspect that it's a kernel thing.

RedHat has its own bugtracking system for their kernels.

Please check if you can reproduce the problem with the current
vanilla kernel from kernel.org.

> One more thing! In RedHat-9 with 2.4.20-8, sometimes, the number of
> processes just increases like mad! and the whole system becomes
> unstable. Then I get errors like I/O error, and hda can not be read
> from, and a whole list of blocks.

AFAICS the current kernel for RH9 is kernel-2.4.20-31.9 and you should
be using it instead of > 1 year old 2.4.20-8 version.

Bartlomiej