Re: How to find out which pages were copied-on-write?

From: Michael Clark
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 23:17:47 EST

On 07/13/04 01:21, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
Michael Clark wrote:

HPAs library LPSM sounds like what you're looking for.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/lpsm/

Or you can do what you want the hard way using mprotect and a SEGV handler.

Certainly a valid idea to consider - doing all those things in userspace... so
thanks for the hint!

But wouldn't that introduce a significant overhead and undermine all of the
nice advantages the kernel might have in scheduling I/O operations?

Not really. Plain read/write IO is generally faster than mmap IO anyway.
You don't use mmap for speed but rather for convenience.

However, I shall really consider and profile the mprotect/sighandler approach...

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg

PS: I'm using my own allocator already, so using the C-library implementation
wouldn't gain me much...

This wasn't why I suggested it. It's has the commit semantics
on memory mapped files that you were asking about (the allocator
is optional I believe).

~mc