Re: serious performance regression due to NX patch

From: David Mosberger
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 15:10:11 EST

>>>>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:54:56 -0400 (EDT), Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

Ingo> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, David Mosberger wrote:

Ingo> is it an issue? Each new port will have PT_GNU_STACK, unless they base
Ingo> themselves on old compilers.

>> PT_GNU_STACK is pure bloat on new architectures (and ia64).

Ingo> EF_IA_64_LINUX_EXECUTABLE_STACK is using elf_ex->e_flags. I
Ingo> did it the same way for x86 originally, but the tools people
Ingo> specifically rejected it as a hack. We dont control the ELF
Ingo> specification, but a new gcc section like PT_GNU_STACK is fair
Ingo> game. So it might be 'bloat' but it's clean and doesnt try to
Ingo> hijack.

I know. All I'm saying is that when the stack permissions match the
permission which the platform uses by default, the PT_GNU_STACK header
should be omitted.

--david