Re: IRQ issues, (nobody cared, disabled), not USB

From: Christopher Swingley
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 09:47:21 EST

Len,

* Len Brown <len.brown@xxxxxxxxx> [2004-Jul-10 18:48 AKDT]:
> It would be interesting if the IRQ failure was always on IRQ7.
>
> When you moved slots, did the device move to a different
> IRQ and fail there too?

I can't remember for sure. My system logs go back to June, and all of
the errors back to then are on IRQ 7. But I don't remember when I tried
a different slot.

> Running ACPI, you may be able to move that device off of
> IRQ7 with "acpi_irq_balance" plus "acpi_isa_irq=7".

I'm giving this a go now that 2.6.5 didn't help. With these parameters,
/proc/interrupts looks like:

CPU0
0: 509088 XT-PIC timer
1: 2408 XT-PIC i8042
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
8: 4 XT-PIC rtc
9: 0 XT-PIC acpi
10: 41821 XT-PIC eth0, mga@PCI:1:0:0
11: 0 XT-PIC uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, EMU10K1, eth1
12: 2102 XT-PIC i8042
14: 236597 XT-PIC ide0
15: 328 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 509008
ERR: 1693
MIS: 0

Seems like a lot of stuff on IRQ 11. . .

> Hardware routes spurious interrupts to IRQ7, so your
> device may be an innocent victim of those. Also,
> there may be some motherboard device pulling on IRQ7
> that Linux doesn't know about -- so see if you can
> disable any extra motherboard devices in BIOS setup.

I already have everything I'm not using (serial, parallel ports)
disabled.

> Finally, you might run a kernel with the IOAPIC enabled,
> such as the CONFIG_SMP kernel, to see if you have an
> IOAPIC on the board and if that mode works differently.

I'll maybe give that a try at some point, if the IRQ balancing doesn't
help.

Thanks again,

Chris
--