Problem with __user annotation in drivers/block/ida_ioctl.h

From: Toon van der Pas
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 05:09:49 EST

Hi,

I'm using the cpqarrayd-2.0 daemon in order to monitor the volumes that
are managed by the cciss driver. After I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.7
(coming from 2.6.0), the compilation of the daemon failed because of the
__user annotation that was added in the file drivers/block/ida_ioctl.h
as part of the sparse fixes.

I did some research (read: googling) and found out that this could
be solved by including /usr/src/linux/include/linux/compiler.h.
To prove this, I inserted #include statements for the compiler.h file in
all source files of the cpqarrayd-2.0 daemon where ida_ioctl.h was included.
With these changes the daemon compiled and ran without problems.

QUESTION: what is the right fix for this?
I think the header file linux/compiler.h needs to be included in
the file drivers/block/ida_ioctl.h. This way we prevent all user
space tools from breaking. Am I right?

Regards,
Toon.