Re: Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

From: R. J. Wysocki
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 06:10:15 EST

On Sunday 11 of July 2004 08:59, Con Kolivas wrote:
> Ingo Molnar writes:
> > * Con Kolivas <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Ooops forgot to mention this was running reiserFS 3.6 on software
> >> raid0 2x IDE with cfq elevator.
> >
> > ok, reiserfs (and all journalling fs's) definitely need a look - as you
> > can see from the ext3 mods in the patch. Any chance you could try ext3
> > based tests? Those are the closest to my setups.
>
> Sorry, I only have one machine to my name and I have to share it with
> both the family and testing so no such luck.

Well, I'm now only working on some documentation, so I think I can run some
tests if they are automated enough, on either i686 or x86-64 machine (both
SMP). There's about 5 - 10 GB of free disk space on each (ext3, but I can
create a reiserfs easily, if needed).

If you want me to do this, please provide me with:
a) patches to test,
b) benchmark tools,
c) instructions (what to turn on/off in the kernel config, how to run the
benchmarks - I need to be able to use a text editor while they are running
and occasionally run a web browser or acroread, but I don't care much if the
system crashes on them).

Yours,
rjw

--