Fatal problem, possibly related to AIC79xx

From: Antonin Kral
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 10:23:33 EST

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Linux (in particular Debian) to our new servers.
These servers are based od motherbard SuperMicro X5DL8-GG with aic7902
without RAID, 1GB RAM, one XEON 3.06GHz

I have two, really strange problems, first of all I have noticed, that
with enabled SMP support kernel detects TWO processors, but only one is
physically installed.

The second problem is, that I am not able to run almost any program.
E.g. if I try to execute free I'll get "Illegal instruction", for mount
I'll get "Segmentation Fault".

What I've tried:

Vanilla kernels 2.4.25, 2.4.26, 2.6.6, 2.6.7. And almost all
combinations with/without:
* SMP
* APIC
* Highmem
* MTRR

All without ACPI and with aic79xx and e1000 build in kernel.

I've tried Knoppix 3.4. The strange think was that I was unable to
load module for aic79xx, because of "no such device".

Does anyone have any idea how to solve my problems?

Thank you, best regards,

Antonin Kral