Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 10:13:54 EST

I've conducted some of the old fashioned Benno's latency test on this patch in various sysctl configurations. This was done on top of a different tree but everything else was kept static. I have to preface these results by saying I don't really get the 50ms size latencies normally but I'm usually unable to get better than 3ms so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Only the both preempt off showed any "outlying" results with one spike of ~20ms but the rest of the time being ~3ms. Enabling both forms of preempt seemed to help a little but nothing drastic, and never below 1ms. It was not universal that the latencies were better, but there was a trend towards better latency. I suspect that those who are getting huge latencies may see a bigger change with this patch than I did.

http://ck.kolivas.org/latency/

Con