Re: Autoregulate swappiness & inactivation

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 06:27:18 EST

FabF wrote:
On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 12:43, Nick Piggin wrote:

pdflush is used to perform writeout of dirty data, so it has
no part in reducing Mozilla's RSS.

Oops ... kswapd then ?

Yep.

I don't really understand what you are asking though. Your basic
problem is that mozilla's resident memory gets evicted too easily,
is that right?

Not at all.My problem is mozilla has some MB to recover when
reactivating; meanwhile, I consider there was sufficient resource to
share with it _before_ reactivation as I'm waiting some minutes after an
heavy process (e.g updatedb) to be done and over.

You could try my -np7 patch, which would hopefully fix the problem
for you.

It may take some time and work before (if ever) the memory management
patches in it are merged though.

AFAICS, Con's patches are about auto-regulation, not about anticipation
(?)

Yep. Con's patch changes the conditions that are required to start
reclaiming mapped pages. Basically: when to start swapping.