Re: Autoregulate swappiness & inactivation

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 05:45:43 EST

FabF wrote:

Here's an easy benchmark to demonstrate problem :
1.Run Mozilla
2.Minimize
3=>Mozilla Resident Size (mrs) : 24Mb
4.Run updatedb
5.=>mrs : 15Mb
6.updatedb ends up
7.mrs doesn't move at all (yes, it goes down as I'm typing this msg :)).

How much RAM do you have? Does this happen with and without Con's
patch?

I don't have a problem here with your problem, however I'm running
my -np patchset, which has different use-once heuristics.

So my question is :
Don't we have a way to say "whose pages were reclaimed from and
reattribute its" ? (having in mind memory status per se).
IOW flushing (I guess it's pdflush relevant ? ) do work for dead
processes but doesn't care about applications alive...

Page reclaim doesn't really know or care about processes, it
basically works on a global page pool.

pdflush is used to perform writeout of dirty data, so it has
no part in reducing Mozilla's RSS.

I don't really understand what you are asking though. Your basic
problem is that mozilla's resident memory gets evicted too easily,
is that right?