forcedeth on MSI K8N Neo Platinum

From: Lars Hagström
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 18:00:55 EST

Hi linux-kernel and Carl-Daniel,

I have just put together a system with a MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard, and I've been having trouble getting the network up and running. The chipset is the NVIDIA nForce 3 250Gb.

I'm using gentoo, and have compiled kernel 2.6.7 (gentoo-dev-sources, if you're familiar with gentoo) with the forcedeth-bk4 and forcedeth_gigabig_try19 patches. I have compiled the forcedeth driver as a module (It is the 10/100 forcedeth driver that is patched to handle 1000, right?).
When I try to start up the network I get the following messages in my syslog:
eth0: phy init failed to autoneg
eth0: no link during initialization
(I had the NIC connected to a switch at the time, in case that is what is meant by the "no link" bit)
Is there something simple that I missed, like module parameters, or is this a more complicated issue?

Tonight I will try to enable debugging in the code, to see if I can get some more information for you. I would be more than willing to help you out with any testing you need.

Is there anything else I can do to help?
Lars