Re: Address space for user process

From: Doug McNaught
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 09:49:11 EST

Christoph Pleger <Christoph.Pleger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I read that - at least in Kernel 2.4 - the amount of memory that can be
> addressed by a user process is limited to 3 GB, no matter how much
> virtual memory is present. Is it possible to raise that limit?

That's limit of the ix86 architecture, not Linux. 64-bit systems
running Linux have no such limit.

That said, there are patches for 2.4 that create separate address
spaces for kernel and user (search for '4G/4G') at the cost of a
(sometimes significant) performance penalty. 4GB per-process is a
hard limit on 32-bit systems, so it's the most you'll get.

-Doug