Staircase cpu scheduler and -ck updates

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 08:46:43 EST

Hi all

A tiny SCHED_FIFO microoptimisation and comments changes make up the staircase7.9 patch. I doubt anyone will notice any difference, but this shows the relative stability/maturity of the scheduler now. Patches for vanilla, 2.6.7-bk20 and 2.6.7-mm6 are available. The sched batch (idle scheduling) and sched iso (soft real time scheduling) policies are also available, stable and ready for prime time testing.

The sched batch and sched iso policies have been updated slightly. The sched batch implementation should be safe for disk intensive loads while still minimising it's cpu usage as much as possible.

I've resynced with 2.6.7-bk20 as the bk19 introduced the security fixes so if you feel you need the security updates you should move to this snapshot.

There was a small cfq bug Jens has just addressed and I've added the incremental fix to that in the ck-dev, mm6 and bk20 snapshots. If you use cfq (ck does by default) it is probably worth applying this fix.

Kernel homepage here:
http://kernel.kolivas.org

Patches available here:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.7/