Re: 0xdeadbeef vs 0xdeadbeefL

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 06:43:07 EST

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, David Eger wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 08:38:53PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, David Eger wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a reason to add the 'L' to such a 32-bit constant like this?
> > > There doesn't seem a great rhyme to it in the headers...
> >
> > Well if you put the 'name' so we could search for the reason.....
>
> The reason I ask is that I'm going on a cleaning spree of
>
> include/video/radeon.h
>
> I was trying to debug my code figuring out which flags we were
> setting in GMC_GUI_MASTER_CNTL. Now radeon.h does have lots of
> #defines for what the bits mean, but they're all mixed up, e.g.:
>
> #define GMC_DP_CONVERSION_TEMP_6500 0x00000000
> #define GMC_DP_SRC_RECT 0x02000000
> #define GMC_DP_SRC_HOST 0x03000000
> #define GMC_DP_SRC_HOST_BYTEALIGN 0x04000000

[SNIPPED...]

Yes, they are not pretty. I would suggest puting them in
order, but nothing else. As you can tell by the response,
you have tripped on a hornet's nest and they are attacking
anything in the area. I certainly would not remove 'L' from
any of those constants. The code will be exactly the same
when compiled, but there may be some diagnostic messages
and nasty-grams from kernel hackers.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.26 on an i686 machine (5570.56 BogoMips).