Re: nfs_inode_cache not getting pruned

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 02:43:46 EST

Brad Fitzpatrick <brad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > Brad Fitzpatrick <brad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've got a couple boxes here that keep running out of lowmem after about a
> > > day of uptime, rendering them almost entirely unusable. (OOM killer
> > > taking out processes left and right, despite 1.5 GB highmem available...)
> > >
> > > From what I can tell, nfs_inode_cache isn't responding to memory pressure
> > > and cleaning itself (enough?).
> >
> > It works OK here. Please provide kernel version and full NFS mount options.
>
> 2.6.7, both client and server.
>
> Both machines are exporting 14 filesystems (each ext3 on 3w-9xxx) and
> mounting the other's 14 over NFSv3:

Sorry, I still cannot reproduce it. I suspect it's specific to the access
patterns in some way.

Are you able to generate some simple testcase which demonstrates the
problem? Say, start off from a clean boot, just mount a single filesystem
and then find some access pattern which causes the inode cache to get
stuck?

Also, perhaps the entire VFS cache reclaim mechanism got stuck - check the
logs for any oopses, because that can do it for sure.

And do a huge ls -lR on a local filesystem, check that the local filesystem
VFS caches are being correctly reclaimed.